Just light the wick – easy?!
But there is actually a right way to burn candles that will make them burn longer and more efficiently…
Follow our tips on how to burn a candle correctly:
How to Burn:
- Trim the wick to 6mm with sharp scissors, nail clippers or a wick trimmer before lighting. Single. Time. If the wick is too long it will cause smoking and if the wick is too short it will not burn efficiently. Trimming the wick keeps the flame in control.
- Light the wick where it meets the wax – do not light the top of the wick as this can create smoking.
- Keep candles free of any foreign matters including matches and wick trimmings.
- Once your candle is lit, allow it to burn until a full pool of wax forms on the first burn.
- Hug in edges of candle, once cooled, at the end of each burn.
- Always burn candles on a level, heat resistant surface within sight.
- Burn candles in a proper holder.
- Do not burn a candle for more than 3-4 hours at a time.
- Place burning candles at least 10cm apart from one another to prevent melting onto each other or creating their own drafts which will result in improper burning.
- Stop burning when 15mm of wax remains.
- Never leave a candle unattended
- Avoid drafts, vibrations, and direct sunlight.
- Never burn candles on or near anything flammable.
- Never touch or move a hot candle – always handle with care once wax has cooled.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
Our candle range uses only 100% pure beeswax and a cotton wick that contains no lead or metals, so you can be assured a 100% natural and eco-friendly and sustainable product.
NB: Don't be fooled by candles that don't state they are 100% beeswax. You only need 51% beeswax in a candle to make this claim. Go for 100% pure beeswax to gain the full benefit of beeswax candles.
If you have any questions with the burning of your candles, please contact us at the following: